January 23, 2017
Monday, January 23, 2017 -
6:00pm to 8:00pm
Room 6 Student Services, 556 E Circle Dr, East Lansing, MI 48824
In this 3-week workshop series, graduate students will be introduced to the practice of meditation as a holistic stress management t ool and how to use the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) methods o f Jon Kabat-Zinn, a well-known Mindfulness instructor and author of Full Catastrophe Living, Coming to Our Senses, and Where Ever You Go, There You Are.
What is mindfulness? 'Be fully present in the moment, non-j udgmentally' best describes mindfulness, which leads to increased awarene ss of bodily apprehension, tension, and pressure. Mindfulness principles facilitate settling down into 'being' rather than simply existing because of the endless 'doing' that seems so predominant in our lives. This works hop is designed to help you learn how to practice meditation and how to us e mindfulness meditation as a tool for focusing on and finishing your grad uate degree.
After participating in the workshops you will have:
• Learned how to use meditation for stress reduction purposes
• Learne d the essential posture technique necessary for sitting meditation
• Increased awareness of bodily cues which signal the presence of stress and anxiety
• Improved your ability to lessen and/or release internally held pressure and tension
• Learned Breath Awareness techniques as th e best way to be brought into the present moment
Research indicates tha t most people who engage in Mindfulness Based Stress Reductions feel:
• Lasting decreases in symptoms (sleep difficulties for example)
• Increased ability to relax
• Greater energy and enthusiasm for life
• Improved self-esteem
• Ability to cope more effectively with bo th short and long-term stressful situations
Series dates are January 23 , January 30 and February 6. Attendance at all three sessions is required to participate.
This workshop is full and registration is closed.
Grad School Events