The PDA and Graduate School presents 3 unique professional development opportunities the week of July 25th:
Postdoc Resume Workshop
July 25, 2022 –
Intended for active job seekers in non-academic careers, this 2 hour workshop will help you break down the process of transforming your achievements and skills into a professional and *short* resume. Presented in collaboration with the Postdoctoral Association, The Graduate School and the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs.
We will have a brief overview of the job application process, followed by some activities centered on your own job interests, and plenty of time to work on crafting your own resume and getting feedback.
Lunch is provided.
July Postdoc Orientation
*July 26, 2022 –
*Note this is at a different date than usual orientations
Team Science Skills Workshop
July 27, 2022 –
Room STEM 2130
The next generation of scholars will increasingly work in teams. Yet, team research skills are not often an explicit part of early career training. This in-person, 90-minute workshop will introduce graduate students and post-doctoral scholars to 5 core competencies for research team success. Through a mini-lecture and interactive exercises, we will learn from the emerging literature on research teams and from each other. Participants will leave with a mental framework for thinking about their teamwork, elementary skills in each of the 5 competency areas, a personal action plan for learning more, and new relationships with colleagues from across campus. Light refreshments will be provided.
Sponsored by: The Graduate School, the Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, and the Office of Research & Innovation
This fall BioSci program will be offering mentored teaching opportunities for postdocs based on the following criteria:
- BioSci is unable to fill all of the BioSci GTA slots.
- The postdoc has expressed interest in teaching and wishes to build a teaching portfolio.
- The postdoc’s research mentor has agreed to release the postdoc from 20 hours of research for the length of the teaching assignment.
- The postdoc can be matched to an appropriate faculty mentor who agrees to take on mentoring responsibilities for that postdoc.
This is NOT intended to serve as a bridge program for postdocs who lack funding. The postdoc must continue to work in the research lab ½ time for the length of the teaching assignment. BioSci will cover ½ of the postdocs salary at the same rate as their research salary for the length of the teaching assignment.
The postdoc will be expected to take on all the responsibilities of a typical GTA for the course as well as some additional teaching responsibilities aimed at building their teaching credentials through teaching in the course.
If you have questions about the mentored postdoctoral teaching experience in BioSci, please contact Jon Stoltzfus, the BioSci Program Director (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please see the following release from Bio Science for more information: Mentored Postdoctoral Teaching Experience in BioSci
The MSU-PDA is looking for new Steering Committee members for the 2022-2023 year!
Steering Committee Members have the opportunity:
- To act as a liaison between MSU postdocs and MSU administration.
- To work with the MSU-OPA to promote and provide opportunities for career and professional development of postdocs at MSU.
- To disseminate information relevant to MSU postdocs.
- To organize opportunities for interactions between MSU postdocs.
PUBLIC MONTHLY MEETINGS
On the last Tuesday of the month, from 9am to 10am, members of the MSU-PDA Steering Committee meet:
- To discuss areas of concern to the MSU postdoc community
- To plan MSU-PDA events
- To provide Sub-Committee updates
- To provide information relevant and useful to the MSU postdoc community
All members of the MSU postdoc community are welcome attend these meetings via Zoom (link here).
Meeting agendas can found in the MSU Postdocs Teams.
To enhance the Postdoctoral experience at Michigan State University providing leadership, support and structured training.
W101 Owen Graduate Hall
735 E. Shaw Lane
East Lansing, MI 48825